[Oeva-list] The Sunday Oregonian, 1915: Driving Electric on the Columbia Highway...In almost 100 years later the dream becomes a reality!

Gary Graunke gary at whitecape.org
Mon Apr 15 11:33:05 PDT 2013

That reminds me of a previous EV Celebration Day. Myles Twete, an OEVA
member who is into EV history, took mayor Sam Adams to the event at Pioneer
Square in his 1920's Milburn electric. While we are all excited that the
city was installing charging stations, Myles presented him with an article
from the December 1914 Oregonian showing where EV drivers could get their
cars charged and serviced in downtown Portland.

So it's back to the future once again. The end of cheap oil, cheap renewable
electricity (solar PV and thermal, wind, tidal, geothermal), solid state
power electronics for motor controllers, and, of course, advances in battery
technology mean that we can choose to have clean sustainable energy for
transportation without messing up our atmosphere and climate and economy. On
to the smart grid, demand response tracking renewables, and vehicle-to-grid!
Don't hold your breath, but we'll get there eventually. Nature and physics
are on our side.

Gary