[Oeva-list] Monthly meeting - EcoTality update from Amy Hillman

mike overton mikeov1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 22:48:15 PDT 2013

Myles,
Amy, and Barry Sullivan VP of operations were there.  Barry explained that
they have a package of five service upgrades they are rolling out.  In the
last three weeks they have upgraded all the DCFC in Oregon, and will have
all 80 of the installed base over 7 states done soon.

The upgrades seal the display which had a large problem with water
ingress.  Also they add the ability to remotely reboot, and to remotely
clear the E-stop.   Did not elaborate on the other 2 of the 5.

Said they monitor plug share daily for issues.  also have three full time
engineers to support installation.

So as an engineer I appreciate the ability to re-boot, but hope they also
addressed the issues that require them to do so.... as well as the problems
with reporting status being incorrect.

They also said that they initially had problems with the home units, which
they fixed, then they had problems with the level 2s which they fixed, and
now they have addressed the issues with the DCFC.    So seems to me the
real issue is a culture of shipping units before they have the bugs worked
out.

Rest of the talk was about where the units are built and issues with
business models for commercial charging, then a fair number of questions.

Mike