[Oeva-list] Good IT practice

Steve's Account stevel at fern.com
Tue Apr 16 11:02:17 PDT 2013

I do think that Patrick does a lot of good..

I do wish you wouldn't use the oddly formated URL's, because for many
browsers it means that they are "unclickable".. making it frustrating
to use.

Also, the use of "shortened" URL's is, in my opinion, bad practice.

It stops the user from knowing if the content is likely to be legitimate
or not. A shortened URL can point to ANYTHING from the map to the foutain
of youth to the latest piece of malware, and as a user you can't tell.

Getting people used to "just clicking on any old thing" is, in my opinion,
very bad practice.

It's why QR codes have fallen into disfavor.. because hackers have found
out that you can entice folks to do things they later regret.

I'd read more of Patricks work, if it were a bit more transparent.

Steve