[Oeva-list] Good IT practice

patrick0101 at gmail.com patrick0101 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 11:56:19 PDT 2013

Great points Steve.

>the use of "shortened" URL's is, in my opinion, bad practice.
Twitter automatically shortens URLs via the cross-post method I use. I
could not possibly find time to post each story separately on each social
media site. You only get 140 characters on twitter, so a short URL is
a necessity on twitter.

If you have security concerns, you can expand URLs here before you use
them. http://checkshorturl.com/

>I do wish you wouldn't use the oddly formated URL's
What do you mean? Is it the missing http://? Again, that is a twitter thing
to save characters. Or did you mean something else?

Since you don't use facebook, I assume you are seeing these in the weekly
rollup that I post each Tues night or Wed morning. I generate that from the
twitter feed with a perl script, so it includes the twit-ified URLs. If you
know how I could do it so it is more transparent, without taking more time,
I am willing to try it.

Alternatively, you could expand the URLs and post your own weekly rollup. I
would be happy to have someone else volunteer to do part of this.

Regards,
Pat
Sunlight will never cost $4/gallon