[Oeva-list] The Sunday Oregonian, 1915: Driving Electric on the Columbia Highway...In almost 100 years later the dream becomes a reality!

Bill Jones, Ph.D. billjones at teleport.com
Tue Apr 16 16:15:09 PDT 2013

Ashley,

What an incredible article to dredge up.  Thank you Mr. Hadlow.

The only distressing thing about the otherwise wonderful description of the drive to the Gorge was the fact that battery energy storage has progressed so little in nearly 100 years.

After all was said & done using battery power to drive the car, they went 50 miles round trip. Many of today's EVs are also limited to 50 miles/charge.  While there are certainly batteries that go further, it points to the fact battery technology has not made the same progress as other areas of energy development.

BTW: they didn't seem to have the same level of "range anxiety" as we have now.  Back then, if they ran out of electrons they would have really been in a world of hurt.

fantastic article & thank you, Ashley for sharing it!

bill jones

William M. Jones, Ph.D.
Faculty Coordinator, Business Strategy Program
Advisor, MBA/MSFA/MIM Capstone Programs
More Information go to: http://www.pdx.edu/sba/capstone; http://www.pdx.edu/insidepsu/textbooks-meet-reality; http://capstone.unst.pdx.edu/courses/business-strategy-ba-495-for-sba-majors
Office: Room 441
School of Business Administration