[Oeva-list] Does it make sense to buy a lightly used Leaf?

Greg Mikol gmikol at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 6 12:13:07 PST 2013

On Fri, 12/6/13, Karl Boekelheide <Karl at Boekelheide.com> wrote:
> I think it’s a no-brainer if you
> just want a great commuter car.  If you commute 50
> miles every day your lease cost will probably be what
> you’re paying for gas now.

Not sure I agree with your math, Karl...

I'm looking at a 2013 SV with QC/LED. The absolute best lease offer I could probably get is $300/month , 24 months/ 12k miles.

My estimates have the Leaf replacing about 9000 miles / year in commuting, replacing a 28 MPG (city/hwy combined) vehicle.

Assuming $4/gal, my fuel costs are about $107 / month (4 * 9000/28 / 12). Even at the 12k miles / year for that particular lease example, fuel would be ~$140.

I'm not saying the vehicle has to pay for itself, it won't. I'm just trying to figure out if buying out someone else's lease (and owning the leaf) is a better idea than getting a lease of my own. And what an appropriate offer price (regardless of the payoff balance) would be for a '13 SV with QC/LED and ~8000 miles on it would be.

--Greg