[Oeva-list] Does it make sense to buy a lightly used Leaf?

John Christian john.p.christian at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 09:01:45 PST 2013

QC ports are a deal breaker for me - I left all thought of ever using a a
fossil fuel vehicle behind. I don't own one and I don't miss it. So, no
safety net cars at home for me. That means if I want to go to Bend,
Seattle, or the Oregon Coast, I need a fast charger.

If this Leaf is going to be your second or third car - and it makes sense
for you to use a fossil fuel vehicle from time-to-time, then living without
a QC port is no big deal. Everyone has a different story and not having a
QC port may be an acceptable consideration. My only cautionary note is
this; These cars (EVs) are far more addictive than anyone every admits. You
will use it far more than you ever thought you would. So, your ancillary
considerations for usage will evolve as your EV experience grows. Also,
Quick Charge ports cannot be retroactively installed.

However, this is a lease and thae QC port may not be that big of a deal for
the next year and a half.

These are fun times - please update us on your decision and, if you decide
to get one, your EV experience.

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Eric Cha <ericc at xenopi.com> wrote:

> Sure, but does that make it a deal breaker for everyone?  Or even the
> majority?  I don't think so.  I know 4 other Leaf owners who are all
> perfectly happy without a QC port.
>
> Eric
>

> On 12/10/2013 8:32 AM, Judith Huck wrote:
>
>> It would be a deal breaker for me too. I use the QC 2 - 4 times a month -
>> but when I need it I truly need it.   It would be a great problem for me
>> not to have it.
>>
>> Judith
>>
>> On Dec 10, 2013, at 8:06 AM, Eric Cha <ericc at xenopi.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a Leaf SL without a QC port, and honestly, I think it's a waste
>>> of money (to get the QC port) with a Lease.   How many DCQC's are
>>> actually available in the area?  Don't get me wrong.  I wouldn't
>>> complain about having a QC port, but a deal breaker?  Methinks you
>>> protest too much. ;)
>>>
>>> Eric

John P. Christian
Chairman - Oregon Electric Vehicle Association
(503) 704-2155
www.oeva.org

 Don't care about Global Warming? Don't hug trees?
Think about the "True Cost to Own" your gas car:
+ Dare to compare any EV against your car: http://www.edmunds.com/tco.html