[Oeva-list] Does it make sense to buy a lightly used Leaf?

Eric Cha ericc at xenopi.com
Tue Dec 10 09:07:21 PST 2013

On 12/10/2013 9:01 AM, John Christian wrote:
> QC ports are a deal breaker for me - I left all thought of ever using
> a a fossil fuel vehicle behind. I don't own one and I don't miss it.
> So, no safety net cars at home for me. That means if I want to go to
> Bend, Seattle, or the Oregon Coast, I need a fast charger.

Good point.  If you're going "all in" on the Leaf, then the DCQC becomes
a big deal (as long as there are some DCQC's within range).

> If this Leaf is going to be your second or third car - and it makes
> sense for you to use a fossil fuel vehicle from time-to-time, then
> living without a QC port is no big deal. Everyone has a different
> story and not having a QC port may be an acceptable consideration.

I suspect that the vast majority of leasors (sp?) will fit into this
category, as all those who I know with Leafs do.

> My only cautionary note is this; These cars (EVs) are far more
> addictive than anyone every admits.

Seconded!  We love our Leaf!

> You will use it far more than you ever thought you would. So, your
> ancillary considerations for usage will evolve as your EV experience
> grows. Also, Quick Charge ports cannot be retroactively installed.

True.

> However, this is a lease and thae QC port may not be that big of a
> deal for the next year and a half.

Exactly.  If you are purchasing, then yeah, the QC port makes more sense
(because the DCQC's will become more plentiful over the coming years).
However, I doubt that the number of DCQC's will explode within the next
1.5 years that his Lease will cover...

Eric