[Oeva-list] SHOULD we let Tesla off the hook?

Scott Hippe scott.hippe at me.com
Mon Jul 1 12:30:18 PDT 2013

I think the issue is that Tesla factory stores would provide the "dealer services".  This does
require a big expense on Tesla's part, but allows them more control over the customer experience.  Think
about the few Nissan dealers here in Portland that take the Leaf seriously and the others that
have broken charging stations and pickup trucks parked in front of them.

I beleive that the current dealer laws were meant to protect dealers from competition from
manufacturer owned "dealerships".  In in the case of Tesla, all "dealerships" would be
factory owned, so I am not sure any of the current laws should apply to Tesla.

For my own experience, purchasing the Leaf 2 1/2 years ago was a pleasant experience up until
the time the dealer got involved who knew less about the car than I did.  The dealer also pulled
some shady paperwork moves after the sale.  Nissan could not "correct the dealer's practice" because
of the arm's length requirement.  But instead, Nissan directly paid me compensation instead and made
me quite happy with Nissan.  It would be my hope that I can by my next cars without the
"traditional dealership" involved.

Scott