[Oeva-list] [OEVA-list] SHOULD we let Tesla off the hook?

Scott Hippe scott.hippe at me.com
Mon Jul 1 13:44:43 PDT 2013

I can only speak for the states I have lived in, but car registrations are very controlled in most states.  In Washington,
the registration process is very controlled regarding sales taxes and compliance.  I am free to buy a car anywhere, but
the registration process will make sure the sales tax is collected.  If I buy in Oregon, the dealer may take care of the sales
tax for you, but it is not required.  You may choose to to pay it when registering the car in Washington.  If I previously
purchased that vehicle in another state with a lower sales tax within a certain time window, I would be required to also pay the
difference in sales tax to WA at registration time.

Registering certain cars or age of cars in Washington may require you to visit a state patrol inspection station to get a certificate
of compliance before you are allowed to register the vehicle (and trailers).