[Oeva-list] Electric car racetrack in North Portland? - Portland Business Journal

Mike Hodgert mike.hodgert at bethel.k12.or.us
Mon Jul 8 20:25:19 PDT 2013

Hi All,
This is what Electrathon Vehicle races are about. We travel between 23 mph and 52 miles over a one hour period on tracks from parking lot tracks that have very tight corners and steep hills to PIR and NASCAR style tracks.  The standard class must use 73 pounds or less of lead acid batteries but there are also experimental classes with other batteries and solar panels.  Most of these cars are designed and built by high school students across the country but there are a number of adults cars as well.  There are races from Oregon to Maine to Florida, and throughout the midwest.  Anyone can build one. You can go on line to find the handbook on the Electrathon America web site along with a lot of other information, pictures and videos.

The next on in the NW is on July 20th and 21st at Reeser stadium in Corvallis as part of the daVinci Days event.  Both days practice laps start at 8:15 adn the races are from 11:00 to noon.  After that there is another race on August 24th and 25th at Valley River Center in Eugene as part of the Eugene Celebration.  Willamette High School in Eugene is hosting both of these races.

As national president of Electrathon America I would be very happy to answer any questions you might have.

Mike Hodgert