[Oeva-list] Mr. Zehner's article

Steve's Account stevel at fern.com
Tue Jul 30 10:49:48 PDT 2013

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013, CraigSchaefer wrote:

> I wonder what could have come from making the same investment in hydrogen
> or LNG infrastructure as made in electric infrastructure for fueling vehicles?

There are lots of places where money could, in my thinking, be better spent.

The feds have made LNG/LPG fueled vehicles much more difficult to do, because
of regulations now in place regarding conversion of vehicles to those fuels.

That could be (and should be, IMO) be reveresed.

Another major piece of "low hanging fruit" is wall wart power supplies.

Just mandating that there be a "zero" demand while the device isn't
in use, would cut US energy use by a significant percentage.

LED light bulbs would help, even more than compact flourscents. The
CFLs arn't living up to their promise of long life, and they are awfully
polluting if not recycled carefully. (Many are broken before they get
recycled!)

Hybrid ICE/EV's might just be the "win" from the EV experiments to
date, since the have many of the advantages, without the requirement
for massive infrastructure spending.

Steve