[Oeva-list] Mr. Zehner's article

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Jul 31 11:01:53 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 05:31:27PM +0000, CraigSchaefer wrote:
> I wonder what could have come from making the same investment in hydrogen
> or LNG infrastructure as made in electric infrastructure for fueling
> vehicles?

Off-the-cuff answer?  Very little.
Consider the cost of NG liquefaction compressors alone, vs. L2 chargers,
and also the rural availability of electricity vs. NG lines.

I won't even go into the logistics of H2.  We've been throwing money at
that since at least the EV1 days, and look where we're at.  H2/FCEV had the
potential to supplant Pb and Ni batteries, but now we got Li (and H2
molecules are tiny, hard to store, and flammable when they escape.)

My scooter club list doesn't have people complaining about 2-strokes,
my motorcycle club list doesn't have people saying we should stop riding,
but my EV club list has people telling me EVs are wrong and bad.

What's up with that?
  Aaron