[Oeva-list] Mr. Zehner's article.

Steve's Account stevel at fern.com
Wed Jul 31 14:19:38 PDT 2013

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013, Hansen, Chris wrote:

> Steve, I don't know where you are going with your personal transportation requirements.
> Mine are similar to yours but that was not the point of my post.
>
> Energy  = $$$s. My point was that EVs use much less energy to move from point A to B then
> an ICE vehicle. That is a huge benefit from an environmental and $$$ perspective. Yes, we
> still lack the infrastructure to get this energy to every interstate exit and
> strip mall in the US, but that's a separate issue that the $$$ and capitalism will sort out.

Actually, the point is that EV's arn't cheaper on a national average..

The recent study says that it's about 15 cents per mile for electric.. and

CNG is about 11 cents per mile.

Electricity is only a penny a mile cheaper than hydrogen.. the last polluting fuel
of the bunch!

And a 30 mpg car, at today's gas prices costs 12.6 cents per mile.

<http://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/renewables/unclean-at-any-speed>

So the statement you make about "EV's use much less energy" at least on a dollar
basis isn't true.

Also.. if you are using the EV's own kw meter to declare that you can go one
mile on .3kw of energy.. that's .3kw from the battery.. not .3kw from the original
fuel source. There are all sorts of effiency issues between the generating station
and the road.

Read the article.. it's an eye-opener.

It talks about the total life cycle costs, not just the operating costs. And for
climatic impact, that's what counts.

Refining the rare earth elements needed for the magnets, and the copper generates
tremendous amounts of greenhouse gasses.

Using aluminum instead of steel for body parts so that you can get usable
range costs a bunch more.

It's not just the operating costs that matter, if you care about the environment..

And if you care about national defense.. remember that most of the rare earth
metals come from China.. a country that just about owns the US based on their
investments in T-bills.

A lot of the copper used in the cables and the motor comes from overseas as well.

I, too, care about what happens to this planet.. it's the only one around.. and
there is no escaping what we dump.

Steve