[Oeva-list] Tesla vs Leaf

Gary Graunke gary at whitecape.org
Sat Nov 9 08:17:35 PST 2013

The Tesla comes with a portable EVSE, as does the Leaf, so that you can
charge from ordinary outlets. However, the Tesla EVSE supports the full 10
KW from a NEMA14-50 outlet (50A breaker, 40A actually used).
My Tesla came with the NEMA14-50 (RV park 50A service) plug and also the
NEMA5-15 (ordinary 110V wall outlet) plugs. You can buy additional plugs
that snap onto the EVSE for NEMA14-30 (common dryer outlet) and other
popular plugs for about $60 at the Tesla online store. The Tesla lets you
dial down the current inside the car so you don't pop the breaker (it
assumes the maximum allowed by the plug), and then remembers the setting by
GPS coordinate in case you forget next time.

The Tesla also comes with a J1772 adaptor. Both the J1772 adaptor and
portable EVSE (and perhaps even the supercharger) lock in the port. If the
key fob is present, one can unlock them via cell phone app, charging screen
on the dash, or button on the EVSE handle. The J1772 EVSE can always be
unplugged, but the adaptor remains locked into the charging port. I believe
that the J1772 adaptor reads the pulse to limit current, but I may be wrong
about that if it assumes 30A. An experiment is in order.

I'm on the list to get a ChaDeMo to Tesla adaptor when they are available
here.

Bottom line-the Tesla can charge conveniently on any 110V or 220V source
with the appropriate plug, as well as J1772. It has its own free DC fast
charge network, but will soon be able to use the Leaf DCQC network as well.
The Leaf EVSE needs to be upgraded to use 240V, or you can purchase another
portable EVSE.

Gary