[Oeva-list] Oeva-list Digest, Vol 121, Issue 21

Jeff Kim jeff.shorepower at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 08:23:37 PST 2013

Hello Chaz,
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Although it does not sound like an issue
with the charging station, we never like to hear about someone having
issues with our stations (or any stations). This particular station is out
of its warranty period, but we still generally try to support any issues
people are having with our stations. We own two Nissan Leafs (2011 and
2012) and have tested or used the Tualatin station in the past. It's
puzzling that all other Nissan Leafs (that we are aware of) charge just
fine on that station, except yours (I'm sure this is puzzling for Nissan as
well). We will test the station again in the near future.

Have you tried any of our other stations in Downtown Portland at PGE (1st
and Salmon), Electric Avenue or OMSI?

Although the SAE J1772 charging spec is fairly straight forward, we have
heard of compatibility issues between certain vehicles and different
station manufacturers.  For example, at Electric Avenue, some vehicles only
work with certain stations. The spec is simple, but open to interpretation;
it can literally come down to a $0.05 resistor value that is slightly
different on your vehicle.

Consequently, we are awaiting approval to do an update on some of PGE's
stations. The update is related to current liming for the Tesla, so it
shouldn't affect other vehicles (since they are not capable of reaching the
current limit of the stations).  Although your particular issue doesn't
appear to be an issue with the station, it's possible that the update could
help with your compatibility issue.

The Nissan Leaf is a great vehicle!  Don't lose faith. Hopefully the update
miraculously resolves the issue. Good luck!

Jeff Kim
President & CEO
Shorepower Technologies
2351 NW York St.
Portland, OR 97210
O (503) 892-7345, M (503) 686-8844, F (503) 802-7347
jkim at shorepower.com
http://www.shorepowerconnect.com