[Oeva-list] Tesla announcement about recent fires in the Model S.

Steve's Account stevel at fern.com
Wed Nov 20 14:04:33 PST 2013

Cory Bertsch <pi at hiddenspiral.net> writes:

> This is Tesla's official response to the recent fires:
> http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/mission-tesla
>
> I thought this was the most notable change: "Third, to reinforce how
> strongly we feel about the low risk of fire in our cars, we will be
> amending our warranty policy to cover damage due to a fire, even if
> due to driver error. "

I think that's much less a statement of "confidence" and much more a
policy of "lawsuit pre-emption".. probably a wise choice.. You shouldn't
have to "warrant" something that should NEVER happen.

Having been handed lemons, they are making lemonaide.

Would you want a car that had burned and then been "repaired" either
as the original owner, or as the buyer on the used market?

The pictures I've seen of the burned cars didn't leave much to repair.

As far as I'm concerned a "serious" fire or a flood is something cars
never recover from.

Anybody remember the Ford Pinto? The model, arguably one of the first
"economy" cars from Ford, vanished as a model in the Ford lineup, due to
post crash fires.

A lawyer friend owned one.. and if you rode with him, he'd always ask you
to make sure you locked it. He didn't want somebody to steal it, get roasted
in a wreck and sue him! :-)

Steve