[Oeva-list] Is OEVA really encouraging drinking and driving?

Quinn Sullivan qsullivan11 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 21:45:18 PDT 2014

I've patiently endured negative emails on here from stevel at fern.com and
calvinjean2 at comcast.net for a couple of years.  Just read through some, and
in my opinion, there's a pattern of unproductive posts stating how EV's
aren't good enough, they only go 70 miles on a charge, the owners are
freeloaders who don't pay a fuel tax, high performance Tesla's horsepower
achievements are meaningless/inaccurate, they are a waste of money, and now
that the owners are criminals who drink to intoxication and drive.  Also,
that you're giving us a "dose of reality".  A lot of us started with the
reality of owning an EV that goes 35 miles on a charge on lead acid
batteries, lots of us live within 30 miles of our work and school, I'd be
thrilled to have 70 miles.  I've heard all of these arguments against EV's
before.  Tesla has busted a lot of these barriers with a fraction of the
production numbers of the big 3, and then gets bashed for being too
expensive.  EV's just can't win with some people and that's fine, but I
prefer not to hear about that on an EV promotion email group.

There's also been advocating for natural gas over EV's, a non-renewable
resource that will dry up some day and leave us in the same spot that
standard gasoline did.  It's been stated that EV's run dirty because the
electrical grid is dirty, yet there's lots of renewables making the grid
cleaner every year and smart grid technologies in the works that can work
to discharge power, decreasing peak power draws and charge at night.

Saying negative things doesn't really help anything.  If you truly care
about EV's instead you'd look for or work towards a solution.   This is
still a relatively new industry, but the most promising one.  Combustion
has had 100+ years to figure it out, and production electric vehicles are
very new in comparison, yet still better in a lot of aspects, like cost of
operation, being 90% efficient instead of 20%, independence of petrol
costs, as some of them are powered by 100% solar power.  I like hearing
about new revelations in the EV industry and new milestones.

I've studied battery technology long enough to be suspicious of any claims
of new battery technology, but there will be great revelations in our
future.  Graphene and other nanotechnology will some day power our electric
vehicles to go 1000 miles on a 100 lb battery pack that's made from carbon
and costs 1/4 of what Lithium batteries do, charged in less than a minute,
and I can not wait for that day.  But it takes hard work and some time to
get there.

In my opinion, this falls into trolling defined below.  I can take a dose
of EV hatred once in a while, but this group is to help promote EV's, not
beat them down.  From the oeva website, "The Oregon Electric Vehicle
Association (OEVA) is a non-profit association of electric vehicle
enthusiasts. We *promote* electric vehicle education."  Maybe there's a
better email group to suit those who want to bash EV's somewhere.  It's not
that I want everyone to agree with me or the majority of the group, it's
just not productive.  If you hate EV's and OEVA, I don't know why you
bother.  Maybe try constructive criticism.

In Internet slang <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_slang>, a *troll* (
/ <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English>ˈ<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Key>
t <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Key>r<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Key>
oʊ <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Key>l<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Key>
/ <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English>,
/<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English>
ˈ <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Key>t<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Key>
r <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Key>ɒ<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Key>
l <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English#Key>/<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English>)
is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or
upsetting people,[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)#cite_note-Campbell-Trolls-1>
by
posting inflammatory,[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)#cite_note-2>
 extraneous <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/extraneous#Adjective>, or
off-topic <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-topic> messages in an online
community (such as a forum, chat room<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chat_room>,
or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an
emotional<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion>
 response[3]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)#cite_note-PCMAG_def-3>
or
of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic