[Oeva-list] Nomination to "trolldom" - a comment by the nominee

Gary Munkhoff gary at greenlivingjournal.com
Wed Apr 23 10:02:45 PDT 2014

Steve,

I do not consider you to be a troll. However, your statements that EVs
are not the "greenest" solution to our personal transportation needs,
are, IMHO, filled with negativity and are not in line with the real
world. Your belief that only the perfect solutions to the challenges of
kicking our addiction to oil are worthy of consideration, flies in the
face of the historical course every new technology that has emerged in
the last hundred years.

The dirty grid argument: Stanford has completed a study that shows the
USA could be powered 100% by renewable energy sources by the year 2050.
Check out the Solutions Project. Amory Lovins and the Rocky Mountain
Institute gathered exhaustive amounts of data and concluded that the US
can be completely off of oil and reduce natural gas consumption by 2/3
by 2050. And grow the economy at the same time. Check out "Reinventing Fire"

Now If we wait until the grid is "clean" before we start converting to
EVs, we've missed the boat. Each year that passes, 15 to 17 million new
ICE cars roll out in the US, and worldwide the picture is even more
desperate as oil demand rises and supplies shrink.

Yes there are environmental issues with any form of renewable power
generation, but they are all far less than those created by coal, oil or
natural gas when you add in the health, extraction and security issues.

The mass transit argument: Americans are not going to give up their
cars. Period. And why would they, since mass transit does not the meet
our needs for all that we do. Mass transit has a place in, and is one
more piece of, the solution, but it is not a replacement for the
personal car.

The EV of today with its range limits, serves the American consumer very
well, and when combined with mass transit, biking, walking, car sharing,
and car rentals, could get oil out of our system very nicely.

Your position that we should turn our backs on the EV as one piece of
the solution, and continue with the status quo until the perfect
solution arrives, is both ludicrous and dangerous. Perhaps if you paid
more attention to what the visionaries are doing, and less attention to
what the naysayers are spreading around, you might see the world in a
different light. And hopefully, your comments on this list would be more
conducive to meaningful debate.

Gary M