[Oeva-list] email etiquette

patrick0101 at gmail.com patrick0101 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 21:36:01 PST 2014

I have recently received a few complaints about the behavior of a couple
people on the mailing list. Our friends to the north (SEVA) just posted
these guidelines for using their mailing list. I think there are some good
recommendations here that we could adopt:

I believe that the purpose of the SEVA email list is to disseminate EV
relevant information and foster constructive conversation about electric
vehicles.

Let us remember at the end of the day, that we are all involved in SEVA
because we think that more electric vehicles is a good thing.
I believe we will be most effective if we keep that goal in mind and focus
on what positive action we can take towards seeing more EVs. I do not think
negative posts or bickering amongst ourselves will be of much value.

A few more suggestions I have is to:

-Focus more on facts rather than personal opinions, evaluations and
judgements.
-Instead of blaming and grumbling about what you do not want, focus on what
you DO want and on what you could do to move closer to that.
-Reduce the use of sarcasm and name-calling

Finally, make sure the email subject line is a good description of the
content inside:
-If something may be only loosely related to EVs consider whether or not it
is worth posting and if you decide to post it, please put "OT" in front of
the subject designating it as "Off-Topic"
-If you are going to significantly change the discussion direction, please
consider also changing the email subject to reflect that. Such as: EV
RENTALS (Was SEVA meeting minutes)

When I read a subject like "Where is the post office?" It sounds like
either someone might be asking for help finding a post office (not EV
related), or I also hear what I interpret as a negative undertone which is
focusing on blaming the US Postal service for something.

I might simply delete the email without opening it. It turns out the
article in the above email was a very EV relevant article about Fed Ex
trying Electric Nissan NV200 delivery vehicles. An example of a more
descriptive and positive title might be:
"Fed Ex tests Electric Nissan Delivery Vehicles"

As another example, the subject of: "BMW i3 Fan test drive review" was very
descriptive and non-provoking about what was contained in that email. This
is contrasted with another email subject from the same person that was
simply titled: "This pissed me off!" which told me nothing about EVs or the
content of the email other than that somebody was angry.

I think for the most part the SEVA email list remains full of mostly
positive, EV-related material. Let's all do our part to keep it that way
and focus on what we agree upon which is the promotion and proliferation of
electric vehicles.

Sincerely,
Stephen Johnsen
Your SEVA President