[Oeva-list] Fwd: Tomorrow: electric bus sneak preview at Beaverton Transit Center

Gary Graunke gary at whitecape.org
Fri Jun 20 17:02:40 PDT 2014

I stopped by the Beaverton Transit Center, saw the bus, and talked to the
Tri-Met folks and BYD representative.

The bus has 325 KWH of LiFePO batteries (about 4 Tesla S P85 worth), giving
it about 110 to 140 miles of range on a full charge. The battery voltage is
500+ volts. There are 3 separate battery packs.
Tri-Met brochure says it lasts 24 hours in service (depends on route, of
course), and charges in 2-4 hours.
The twin 90 KW motors propel the bus, giving it better acceleration up to 30
mph, a bit slower after that. However, these motors are the smallest
available, and there are two more powerful ones available.
The motor controllers (inverters) also provide charging when supplied with
480 3-phase at 100A via two charging ports. The bus comes with an EVSE, but
the inverters are the on-board chargers.
The bus has an air suspension that can "kneel" (drop down the body of the
bus a few inches). Just like a Tesla S! :-)

The bus is built in Lancaster, California.

A competing bus is made by South Carolina company Proterra. It uses a
smaller pack and DC quick charging.

Looks like a very nice design to me--the batteries are already good enough
for many Tri-met routes, and getting better each year by 10% or so. BYD is a
battery company--the bus is the easy part.

I'll forward pics to Pat so we can post them to the web (but not fill up
your email inbox).

Gary