[Oeva-list] Voted with my $$$

The Donovans r_donovans at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 18:50:31 PDT 2014

I think Nick may have "hit the nail on the head" when he mentioned patents. With the Prius, Toyota was on the favorable side of the patents for the reasons Nick mentions. Now, companies like Toyota and Audi that bet on other technologies, unwilling to invest in the risky EV business, or were asleep at the wheel are now having to choose to play catch up or poo-poo companies that took the risk of getting into the EV game early. Nissan and Tesla took the risks but I bet, because of those risks, now control some patents that make it difficult to compete.

Tesla really took the high-end auto market by surprise. I think it capped the price and growth potential of gas/diesel luxury auto manufacturers in this market. Now, Toyota is seeing Tesla talk about bringing the price down into their "sweet spot" of their high profit margin range of vehicles. I agree they are scared.

Toyota will still still sell a lot of cars but it will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the next few years.

Richard