[Oeva-list] LRR or not?

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Thu Jul 2 13:33:16 PDT 2015

It's past time to replace the tires on my Leaf; one recommendation I see
is for the Michelin Energy Saver A/S
(http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14072), which while
apparently efficiency rated, is not Low Rolling Resistance.  The guy at
Les Schwab says LRR tires have a rib around them that blocks the rain
channels, so they have poor rain performance, which seems like a bad
idea around here ;-) but with batteries down below 80%...  I'm wondering
if the difference in range would be that significant?  He also said that
worn out tires will be the most efficient because they're the smoothest.
 Thought I would get other's thoughts before I go in and spend
$600-800...  He's recommending the Toyo Z900, which they keep in stock,
at $159 vs 210 or so for the Michelin, which they don't.