[Oeva-list] LRR or not?

Karl Boekelheide Karl at boekelheide.com
Thu Jul 2 14:43:46 PDT 2015

When I got new tires for our Leaf i just went with the Michelin that Costco had on sale.  When our Prius 1st needed tires I anguished about getting low rolling resistance tires.  After reading many posts on various chat rooms I came to the conclusion that people were really seeing very little difference.  I personally couldn’t detect any difference either with the Prius or the Leaf.  Of much more significance is the tire pressure.  I keep my tires at 40+ and I think I see better mileage.  I know they last longer.  My 1st set of tires on the Leaf was shot at 35,000 miles.  Those tires were kept at 34 or whatever the recommended pressure is until I started noticing typical under inflation wear at about 27,000 miles.  I now ask for, and check, that they be at 42.  My second set of tires now has 42,000 on it and it looks like they have at least 10,000 to go.  It’s just a guess on my part but I think the recommended pressure for the Leaf is wrong.  The car is much heavier than whoever sets the number thinks.

On Les Schwab - I think their service is great but their Toyo tires are so, so.  For many years I swore by Les Schwab but I had too many flats and other failures with the tires.  Les will fix or replace them with no problem but a Leaf has no spare.  I’d rather pay a little more for a Michelin and low the chance of being stranded trying to squirt gooey stuff into a flat Toyo.