[Oeva-list] Pay-per-mile Vehicle Tax

WALTER J EAGER eagerwj at centurylink.net
Sun May 24 11:02:46 PDT 2015

I just read Patrick Connor's post on this subject. Had I known, I certainly would have consulted with you, Pat, found that you had been misquoted and modified my original post accordingly. I was quickly relieve as I continued to read your post and found that we are in general agreement on this issue. My apologies, Pat, for this misunderstanding.

Thanks, Myles, for running this issue down on the www.myorego.org website. The information that you provided was useful. One question: I did not understand why you entered 100,000 mi/gal into the orego calculator for your EV. That gave you $0/mo as your "gasoline equivalent EV tax". It seems that the entry of 100 mpg would give what might seem to some to be an equitable EV tax. I used 100 mpg to calculate this "gasoline equivalent EV tax" and got $3 per month for a 1000 mile per month EV driver and the same $15 per month for the "pay-per-mile EV tax" that you calculated.

Apparently as you, I do not favor the use of the "gasoline equivalent EV tax". One reason is that it would provide EV detractors, including fossil fuel industry propagandists, with fully-loaded shotguns. They would proclaim unfairness and give the example of a 20 mpg vehicle owner, who cannot afford to buy a higher efficiency vehicle. That owner would pay 5 times more per mile than for example a Leaf owner to drive to work on Oregon highways. It would be better to work for the proposed Oregon EV Tax Credit and justify it on the basis of the public health and safety benefits that EVs, driven on safe forms of energy, provide. That is consistent with how we justify the Federal Tax Credit. This would be better accepted by the public than a discount on the Oregon Vehicle Tax.

BTW there is an error in the correction of my original post. If I recall correctly, Shelley Snow of ODOT stated that the highway damage versus four wheel vehicle weight graph is essentially horizontal up to 10,000 pounds (not ten tons) where it then rises exponentially. However, rather than use news articles and hearsay, even from normally reputable sources, we will not know for sure what this characteristic of Oregon highways is until we review the study report. Next week I will get a copy, review it and report my interpretation on this website. That will still be hearsay. So I will give its source or attach a copy of it so all, who have been contributing to this important discussion, will have access to it.

Thanks for everyone's contribution.

Walt Eager