[Oeva-list] Yet another reason why a Mileage use fee is a bad idea

Theoldcars at aol.com Theoldcars at aol.com
Tue May 26 10:41:53 PDT 2015

If this were put to a vote I would also agree with Karl.
I too agree with the points made by Lawrence below.

Everyone benefits from the roads even
if you don't drive.

I think as EV drivers we tend to bend over backwards to gain
acceptance for EVs. We don't want to be seen as taking,
a free ride at others expense.

I am all for pay a fair share but what is fair depends on who
your talking to. You have to keep in mind this list is a very small
part of the general population. Its easy for and its easy to take advantage
 of
people who go along willingly because its seems the fair thing
to do.

As of the end of 2014 we had a total of 3.3 million vehicles registered  in
Oregon. Of that number 3,500 were BEVs.

I like to consider in a real world perspective how this  would be.

If you visited ten grocery stores, and each store had one hundred  vehicles
in their parking lot. You would find about one battery electric vehicle.

The DOT has always been looking for a way to increase their  funding.
While in reality a tax on 3500 EVs would produce very little proceeds.
As pointed out by others, it would most likely cost far more to  collect
then make sense to enforce.

Don Blazer

In a message dated 5/25/2015 7:13:11 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,