[Oeva-list] Help with BMS selection

Dima Kukushkin dimakukushkin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 10:29:12 PDT 2018

Hello dear DIYers!

This topic been around for years, so hoping some one has hands on
experience and can advise.

I have 4 cells from Nissan Leaf that i'd like to reuse for my project of
battery-assisted kayak.  Need reliable BMS that keeps battery happy, and
away from red  zone voltage.

>From experience with cheapo BMS (used on for Roomba upgrade) - formal
presense of balancing is not in reality doing the balancing work - board
instead charges cells to 4.4 volts and then discharges top cells to 4.2
But since current is not  reduced by board at the top of the charge - once
power removed - all cells drop below 4.2, and i'm seeing 0.2-0.4v
disbalance.  As well as seeing battery above 4.2 for some periods of time.

For Leaf cells - i'd like to configure BMS to keep voltage below 4.1 at all
times, while balancing cells.

If this project rings a bell for any one - please give me a helping hand
with BMS selection.

Thanks!