[Oeva-list] Help with BMS selection

Travis Gintz frodus17 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 15:31:52 PDT 2018

Couldn't you use a Hobby charger? I have a Venom Pro Duo, that can balance
6s on each channel. You really only need one channel, and balancing for 4s,
but there's chargers out there.

I set it for 40,000Ah for my Saft cells and it balance charges them.

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 10:30 AM Dima Kukushkin <dimakukushkin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello dear DIYers!
>
> This topic been around for years, so hoping some one has hands on
> experience and can advise.
>
> I have 4 cells from Nissan Leaf that i'd like to reuse for my project of
> battery-assisted kayak.  Need reliable BMS that keeps battery happy, and
> away from red  zone voltage.
>
> From experience with cheapo BMS (used on for Roomba upgrade) - formal
> presense of balancing is not in reality doing the balancing work - board
> instead charges cells to 4.4 volts and then discharges top cells to 4.2
> But since current is not  reduced by board at the top of the charge - once
> power removed - all cells drop below 4.2, and i'm seeing 0.2-0.4v
> disbalance.  As well as seeing battery above 4.2 for some periods of time.
>
> For Leaf cells - i'd like to configure BMS to keep voltage below 4.1 at
> all times, while balancing cells.
>
> If this project rings a bell for any one - please give me a helping hand
> with BMS selection.
>

> Thanks!

Travis Gintz