[Oeva-list] Model Y test drive

Karl Boekelheide Karl at Boekelheide.com
Mon Jun 22 13:29:42 PDT 2020

Nice review Alan.

For my two cents I personally disagree that the Leaf drives better.  That’s just personal preference, I guess.  I have: a 2011 Leaf with 142,000 miles; a March 2020 performance Y with 1,500 miles; and a March 2018 RWD 3 with 41,000 miles.  I think the 3 is the best of them.  I’ve done lots of miles in the Leaf and 3; not so many in the Y yet because of the CoVid thing.

The Y is a nice hauling vehicle with lots of space inside but the 3 drives better and looks better to me. I’ve named the Y Pudgy because that’s how it looks to me. I particularly resent giving up over 10% of my range for the performance option.  That seems not to be feature of the performance 3 and make no sense to me. The Y is advertised at 315. The performance model I got is 280 (and dropping.)   I bought the 3 sight unseen because I wanted one early.  I was not disappointed in any way.  Tesla seemed to have made every choice in the best way possible for me.  I also bought the Y sight unseen and got a very early one.  If I had gotten it first I would probably not be at all disappointed.  For me it’s a step down from the 3.

If you want an SUV, I’d get the normal, non-performance, version.  Yes it’s fun to launch like a rocket but I’d rather go another 35 miles per charge.  If you want the coolest car out there, my money is on the performance 3.

Karl, OEVA