[Oeva-list] Model Y test drive

Ron Jackson Ron at fascinatingelectronics.com
Mon Jun 22 17:42:34 PDT 2020

Karl,

At this time it looks like there are three versions of the Model Y: Long
Range (316 miles EPA), Performance (315 miles EPA), and Performance with
Performance Upgrade (280 miles EPA). Without the Performance Upgrade
package the difference in EPA range is only 1 mile between the Long Range
and Performance versions. The large range hit is only when you add the
Performance Upgrade package. The acceleration is the same, 3.5 seconds 0 to
60, for all Performance cars with or without the Performance Upgrade. Long
Range is 4.8 seconds.

The Performance Upgrade package increases the top speed by 10 MPH, replaces
the standard wheels with 21" Uberterbine wheels, upgrades to performance
brakes, the suspension is lowered, and it has aluminum alloy pedals. I
expect it is the 21" Uberterbine wheels with the performance tires that is
the main hit to the range, and the main source of the increased max speed.
I would be surprised if the other changes reduce the range significantly.

You could sell or trade your Uberterbine wheels and tires with another
Model Y owner and put on a set of standard wheels and tires and get back a
bunch of range. Though with the lowered suspension you would then have a
bit less ground clearance. Also without the Uberterbines you will give up
your 155 MPH top speed, and have to settle for poking along at 145 MPH.
Such are the tradeoffs when you drive a Tesla. ☺

  —Ron