[Oeva-list] 2020 Nissan Leaf? Good deals!

Morris H Green morrisgreen at comcast.net
Sun Oct 11 17:32:55 PDT 2020

Ok my friends, here is what happened on our visit to Carr Nissan in Beaverton to drive the Nissan Leaf S.  They didn’t have an S for us to drive and offered a 2020 SV or a 2019 S (used) to test drive.  I don’t think there’s any difference between the 2019 and 2020 Leaf S models so we drove the 2019.  It has e-pedal which is strong regen and brings the car to a stop when the go pedal is released, no creep.  If you switch off e-pedal, it works like the old Leaf, mild regen + more regen when you step on the brake and creeps when the brake is released.  So your choice on how to set that up.  Also, the Leaf S does NOT have the heated seats or steering wheel, you must buy the SV version AND the All Weather Option for $900 to get the heated stuff.  Also, I couldn’t get an answer on when you get the heat pump from the sales staff.  I’ll check again on the Nissan web site and report back.

The 2020 Leaf S version for $22,610 without trade-in at Carr comes with the Charge package option which is the Quick Charge Level 3 port and the portable charger that will connect to either 120v or 240v.  Without this option the portable charger is 120v only, a truly useless trickle charger.  Sheesh.  There is also the Splash Guards option and the Carpeted Floor Mats and Cargo Area Mat option included at this price, at least with this particular unit.  Not sure what other units will have as options other than they all seemed to have the Charge Option which is the important one.

We got to drive the car by ourselves (no salesman along).  Spent about 30 minutes going through it and it seems like a reasonably nice car.  The real deal maker is that Nissan still qualifies for the Federal $7,500 tax credit if you owe that much to the feds so you can get the whole thing in one tax year.  We were offered about $4,000 for our 2013 Leaf with 56k miles on it but it’s in very good condition and still has 12 bars of battery.  So if we took the trade in offer and max out the Fed tax credit, the whole car including everything (tax, title, license, doc fees, etc etc etc) would come to $12,440.85 but requires $19,940.85 out of pocket to complete the deal.  Without the trade in, the total comes to $16,449.85 (incl fed tax credit) with $23,949.85 out of pocket.  So it looks pretty good for a brand new 2020 Leaf S rated at 150 miles EPA range.

One discount that didn’t get included is a $500 loyalty bonus discount for already owning a Nissan.  The Carr sales people said that’s direct from Nisan and didn’t include it in the paperwork.  I’ll check into that some more and report back what I find.

The $88 a month lease deal was last month and is no longer available according to the salesman, who said they moved about 20 cars with that deal.  But salesmen have given me wrong info almost all the time so you might want to check that out yourself to see if it’s really gone.

Looked into Bolts too and the best deal was up around $29,750 and GM no longer qualifies for the Fed $7,500 tax credit.

So, I need to check on used 2013 Leaf S prices to see if we can do significantly better than the $4k trade in offer and find out about the loyalty bonus.  Oh, and these deals expire on Nov 2, so another 3 weeks or so if you’re thinking about doing it.

Morris