[Oeva-list] 2020 Nissan Leaf? Good deals!

Morris H Green morrisgreen at comcast.net
Tue Oct 20 13:38:57 PDT 2020

Since Chaz asked, here are the latest updates on our Leaf quest:

We finally figured out that Nissan calls their heat pump “Hybrid heater system” and you must buy an SV and purchase the $900 All Weather Package which adds the heated front seats, steering wheel and outside mirrors plus the heat pump.  Since that came to more than $3,000 above an S we went with the S version and gave up those things.

We also decided that we didn’t need the $1,690 Charge Package option on our S.  So there’s no Chademo quick charge port and the mobile charger is 120 volt only, so only trickle charging at 3 to 5 miles per hour.  But since over the last four years the 2013 Leaf S  only had a single Quick Charge session we don’t think we will be missing anything in our use.

So we found a stripper Leaf S listed at $19,920 in a Carr Nissan ad, but since there’s no trade in you have to add in another $1,000 so that’s $20,920 for the advertised price which includes the Nissan factory $6,000 discount, the Carr Nissan $3,500 discount, and the Oregon $2,500 electric car discount.  Add in the registration, title, license, doc fees, etc and the deal was $22,236 and change for a brand new 150 mile 2020 Nissan Leaf S.

Nissan still qualifies for the full $7,500 federal tax credit so subtracting that gives $14,736.  The old 2013 Leaf S with 56k miles on it will be sold for about $4,500 (new tires, new plates, all 12 bars) so that reduces the cost to $10,236.  A pretty good deal if you need an around town car range of 150 miles and no Chademo quick charging.

As for dealership sales knowledge of electric cars….. well, we’re still on our own.  Out of 10 people working in several dealerships who were asked which model Leaf has the heat pump question, we received no answers.  We eventually figured out on our own that “hybrid heater system” meant a heat pump with backup resistive heater when it gets too cold for the heat pump to operate efficiently.

Finally, I also checked the Costco Auto Program pricing which is supposed to be a quick and easy one price deal.  It was higher by about $1,000 from the Carr Nissan advertised price for a similar model.  Don’t know if that was due to options like carpets, splash guards, cargo nets, etc or not.  It’s very difficult to get full info on the exact things on the cars over the internet or phone.

So in a couple of weeks our car will arrive and a nice used 2013 Nissan Leaf will become available for someone else to enjoy.

Morris