[Local events] Wed, 12/22: "Midwinter Day" reading

Chris Piuma piuma at flim.com
Sun Dec 19 23:18:21 PST 2004

The Very Very Long Performance Series presents...

MIDWINTER DAY

A reading of Bernadette Mayer's book-length poem "Midwinter Day"

Wednesday, December 22
Casa de Leche
1937 NE Pacific, Portland
(diagonally across from the spinning milk carton)
503-236-7369
Beginning at 7pm.

On December 22, 1978, Bernadette Mayer wrote "Midwinter Day", which
Alice Notley described as an "epic poem about a daily routine". The
poem goes through awakening through the entire day, morning to night,
and ending with dreams again. Please join Chris Piuma, Ashley
Edwards, David Abel, and other local poets for a reading of this
beloved poem.

If you are interested in being one of the readers, please e-mail me
at piuma at flim.com.

A sample, from near the end:

    From dreams I made sentences, then what I've seen today,
    Then past the past of afternoons of stories like memory
    To seeing as a plain introduction to modes of love and reason,
    Then to end I guess with love, a method to this winter season
    Now I've said this love it's all I can remember
    Of Midwinter Day the twenty-second of December

--
Chris Piuma
piuma at flim.com
www.flim.com