[Local events] Midwinter Day reading

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Mon Dec 20 15:19:23 PST 2004

[apologies for any duplication of this message; we're experiencing mail
glitches]

The Very Very Long Performance Series presents...

MIDWINTER DAY

A reading of Bernadette Mayer's book-length poem "Midwinter Day"

Wednesday, December 22
Casa de Leche
1937 NE Pacific, Portland
(diagonally across from the spinning milk carton, on 20th, a bit north
of Sandy)
503-236-7369
Beginning at 7pm.

On December 22, 1978, Bernadette Mayer wrote "Midwinter Day", which
Alice Notley described as an "epic poem about a daily routine". The poem
goes through awakening through the entire day, morning to night, and
ending with dreams again. Please join Chris Piuma, Ashley Edwards, David
Abel, and other local poets for a reading of this beloved poem.

If you are interested in being one of the readers, please e-mail me at
piuma at flim.com.

A sample, from near the end:

   From dreams I made sentences, then what I've seen today,
   Then past the past of afternoons of stories like memory
   To seeing as a plain introduction to modes of love and reason,
   Then to end I guess with love, a method to this winter season
   Now I've said this love it's all I can remember
   Of Midwinter Day the twenty-second of December

--
Chris Piuma
piuma at flim.com
www.flim.com