[Local events] Reminder: Sunday 11/27, Jack Collom & Dan Raphael

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Wed Nov 23 13:29:16 PST 2005

Spare Room Reading Series presents . . .

Jack Collom

Dan Raphael

Sunday, November 27th
7:30 pm

New American Art Union
922 SE Ankeny Street
$5 suggested donation.

www.flim.com/spareroom
spareroom at flim.com

Upcoming readings:

December 11  David McAleavey & Chuck Stebelton

January 22   Cat Tyc & TBA
February 12   Margareta Waterman publication party
February 26   Alan Halsey, Geraldine Monk, Martin Corless-Smith
April 23   Joshua Clover & Cynthia Kimball

Jack Collom teaches ecology-poetics and oversees Project Outreach at the
Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics, where he has been resident
faculty for over a decade. A prolific writer, he has been published in
over a hundred magazines and anthologies in the United States and
abroad. His books include Arguing With Something Plato Said, The Task,
and Entering the City. He has worked extensively with the Teachers and
Writers Collaborative in New York City and published his ars poetica on
teaching poetry, Moving Windows, under their aegis. He has twice been
awarded a National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship. Red Car Goes By (a
selected poems 1955-2000) is published by Tuumba Press.  Jack Collom
lives in Boulder CO.

Dan Raphael writes:
"What can I say here to entice you to come hear me read? I'm not sure
how a list of books I've published (fifteen of them, including When a
Flying City Falls, Greatest Hits, and Showing Light a Good Time), or of
magazines or websistes where my poems have appeared will incline you to
come hear me. I have a good performance track record--Bumbershoot,
Wordstock, Powell's, Reed College, Burning Word, Seattle Poetry
Festival, Silverton Poetry Festival, Portland Community College, the
Super Bowl of Poetry, KBOO, and Portland Cable Access. Especially like
working with musicians, which I've done w/ Salon des Refuse, Dave
Captein, and Glenn Moore."

12-24-94

Crazy writings on the mottled, lighted sky,
Romantic slate, are trees, bare, ruined choirs
Perhaps but also branch essentials. Why
Question their configures, their live wires
To us all, this morning? Sheer potential
Holds the sky in fragments -- actualized
In rough, black bark. Eftsoons torrential
Sap will climb, and all be notarized.
Before I rose I spotted out my skylight,
By chance of space, just cast in arms of sumac,
Star-triangle marked on morning twilight,
Attenuate, a turn I took as runic.
It's not the thinness, much, that makes it "mine";
It's more the variation (angle, line).

                     Jack Collom

at night the street is more like my skin
my bones feel like fire escapes -- stretched   counterbalanced
           always requiring a leap to exit or enter --
i have an inner fear that prevents me from jumping into water
though i swim well enough its been so long i may no longer float
as water at night is less buoyant    hungrier     with a mind of its own
when all its natural outlets have closed til dawn
i dive off the pier like a cross between an owl and a pelican,
barely flapping,    barely a legs length from the surface,
with just one chance to impale the slippery answer
cause aroma is too long a book -- i need the quicker hit, the high speed
unraveling,
as water always takes, is always sampling    saving    accumulating
in order to clone everything we do to it, sending a rain of our excess
and industry

                   Dan Raphael (from Black Medicine)