[Local events] OSPIRG : Help Protect our Last Wild Forests

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Thu Aug 10 11:58:54 PDT 2006

This week, the Bush administration let timber companies into some of the
last remaining wild areas of Oregon's national forests. Fortunately we
still have a chance to permanently protect 2 million acres of roadless
areas.

Governor Kulongoski is getting close to formally petitioning to restore
protections against logging, mining, and road-building, but before he
does so, he wants your input so that the Forest Service is reminded how
much support there is for protecting or forests in Oregon.

Please sign a petition supporting full protection from these areas so
they can provide recreational opportunities, clean water, and habitat
for Oregon fish and wildlife.

"Dear Governor Kulongoski,
We are responding to your request for input on protecting Oregon's last
wild forests. We value Oregon's roadless areas for because they provide
clean water for our communities; opportunities for camping, hiking, and
wildlife viewing; and habitat for Oregon's fish and wildlife. We need to
save these places for future generations.

We urge you to restore the full 2001 protections for roadless areas and
to allow no logging, mining, or roadbuilding in our last wild forests."

Click here or paste this link into your browser to sign the petition:

http://pirg.org/alerts/route.asp?id=943&id4=ES

And please forward this email to all your friends and family!

Background

Oregon's wild places in our national forests are home to some of the
most striking beauty on earth. They provide critical habitat, clean
drinking water, and unlimited opportunities for recreation and solitude

One might think that the nation's publicly owned forests are already
protected. However, across the country, logging, mining, road-building
and other development activities have destroyed more than half of our
national forests to such an extent that they no longer qualify as
wilderness. There are approximately 400,000 miles of roads crisscrossing
our national forests - enough to circle the planet 16 times - to help
logging companies gain access to even more remote areas of our national
forests. Road-building and logging cause erosion and fragment critical
wildlife habitat.

In 2005, the Bush administration repealed protections for 2 million
acres of the last untouched areas of our national forests, the so-called
"roadless areas" despite decades of scientific study, 600 public
hearings, and millions of public comments in support of protecint them.
The repeal puts 1.9 million acres of Oregon's national forests at risk.
Well-known places in Oregon that were protected under the rule but are
now at risk include Larch Mountain and the headwaters of Multnomah
Falls, Lost Lake Butte and Roaring River in the Mt. Hood National
Forest, Moose Creek and Hardesty Mountain in the Willamette National
Forest, the Metolius River basin in the Deschutes National Forest and
the Copper Salmon area in the Siskiyou National Forest.

Fortunately, Governors can petition to restore protections in their
states, and Governor Kulongoski is committed to doing so. But before he
does so, he wants your input so that the Forest Service is reminded how
much support there is for protecting or forests in Oregon.

Please sign a petition supporting full protection from these areas so
they can provide recreational opportunities, clean water, and habitat
for Oregon fish and wildlife. Here's the text of the petition:

"Dear Governor Kulongoski,
We are responding to your request for input on protecting Oregon's last
wild forests. We value Oregon's roadless areas for because they provide
clean water for our communities; opportunities for camping, hiking, and
wildlife viewing; and habitat for Oregon's fish and wildlife. We need to
save these places for future generations.

We urge you to restore the full 2001 protections for roadless areas and
to allow no logging, mining, or roadbuilding in our last wild forests."

Click here or paste this link into your browser to sign the petition:

http://pirg.org/alerts/route.asp?id=943&id4=ES

And please forward this email to all your friends and family!

Sincerely,

Maureen Kirk
OSPIRG Executive Director
MaureenK at ospirg.org
http://www.OSPIRG.org

P.S. Thanks again for your support. Please feel free to share this
e-mail with your family and friends.