[Local events] [Fwd: Another rigged election, courtesy of the U S of A!]

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Wed Jul 5 14:36:40 PDT 2006

Today's NY Times report on the recount:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/05/world/americas/05mexico.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

Subcomandante Marcos's response, and other more current and in-depth
reporting about the recount:
www.narconews.com

 FROM: Greg Palast <palast at gregpalast.com

Dispatch from Mexico City: STEALING IT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES

Gore v. Bush. Kerry v. Bush. Obrador v. Calderon. As in Florida in
2000, as in Ohio in 2004, the exit polls show the voters voted for the
progressive candidate, but the race is "officially" too close to call.

But they will call it -- after they steal it. Reuters News agency
reports that, as of 8pm Eastern time, as voting concluded in Mexico,
exit polls show Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador of the "left-wing" Party  of
the Democratic Revolution (PRD) leading in exit polls over Felipe
Calderon of the ruling conservative National Action Party (PAN).

We've told you again and again: Exit polls tell us how voters say  they
voted, but the voters can't tell pollsters if their vote will be
counted. In Mexico, counting the vote is an art, not a science -- and
Calderon's ruling crew is very artful indeed. The PAN-controlled
official electoral commission, not surprisingly, has announced that  the
presidential tally is too close to call.

Calderon's election is openly supported by the Bush Administration. On
the ground in Mexico City, our news team reports accusations from
inside the Obrador campaign that operatives of the PAN had access to
voter files which are supposed to be the sole property of the nation's
electoral commission. We are not surprised.

This past Friday, we reported that the US Federal Bureau of
Investigation had obtained Mexico's voter files under a secret
"counterterrorism" contract with database company ChoicePoint of
Alpharetta, Georgia. The FBI's contractor states that, following the
arrest of ChoicePoint agents by the Mexican government, the company
returned or destroyed its files. The firm claims not to have known
collecting this information violated Mexican law. Such files can be
useful in challenging a voter's right to cast a ballot or in  preventing
that vote from counting.

It is, of course, impossible to know if the FBI destroyed its own copy
of the files of Mexico's voter rolls obtained by Choicepoint or if
these were then used to illegally assist the Calderon candidacy.  But we
can see the results: as in the US, first in Florida then in  Ohio, the
exit polls are at odds with "official" polls. In November  2004, US
Republican Senator Richard Lugar, in Kiev, cited the  divergence of exit
polls and official polls as solid evidence of  "blatant fraud" in the
vote count in Ukraine. As a result, the Bush  Administration refused to
recognize the Ukraine government's official  vote tally ... which proves
once again that Republicans are incapable  of irony. The foreign
mainstream press has already announced,  despite the polling
discrepancies, that Mexico's elections were fair  and clean -- which
would be a first for that country where Obrador's  party has seen its
candidates defeated by "blatant fraud" before. The  change this time is
that the fraud is simply less blatant.