[Local events] Fwd: multi-tenant nonprofit/arts building

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Wed Apr 2 17:02:12 PDT 2008

>From Carole Zoom (please forward widely):

I thought you might be interested in my idea to create a multi-tenant
nonprofit and/or arts building in Portland.

On Wednesday, April 16 at 6:00 pm, I'm hosting an informal meeting to
discuss the possibility of creating a multi-tenant nonprofit building in
Portland. I am asking your help to make sure the folks you believe are
interested in this idea will attend  the meeting.

Background:

I am buying a commercial building in Portland this summer or fall and am
looking for nonprofit tenants interested in filling it (possibly at a
reduced rate) and then buying it from me. As a former nonprofit
director, I know how hard it can be to make this happen without
partners, and I have already made this concept happen in Eugene. Now I'd
like it to happen here in Portland.

MidTown Arts Center:

In Eugene in 2005 I purchased a building with my personal nestegg in
order to consolidate 8 arts organizations under one roof, allow them
shared infrastructure so that they could use more of their money for
their missions. The Eugene Ballet took leadership on the nonprofit side
and pulled together the tenants for the 14,000 sq ft building. Our
arrangement allowed them reduced rent for 3 years so that they could do
a capital campaign to purchase the building from me in 3 years. That
building, called MidTown Arts Center, is now used by the Eugene Ballet
and 7 other arts organizations, and they are purchasing the building
from me this summer.

I am searching now for tenants in Portland for a similar set up: my goal
is to buy a building in summer large enough for numerous nonprofits to
use and work together to raise funds to purchase it from me as their
fundraising allows. I am not rich and am not able to give the building
to nonprofits, but I want my investment to work for justice in the
community.

If you would be interested in discussing this possibility with me,
please email me at carolezoom at mac.com or call 541-954-8373. I am hosting
an informal meeting on 4/16/2008 at 6 pm for those interested in meeting
to discuss this idea. For details, contact me.

Carole Zoom
www.carolezoom.com