[Local events] Fwd: Art on Alberta seeks Board members

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Thu Apr 3 14:35:48 PDT 2008

 From Hilary Pfeifer:

Art on Alberta is a small nonprofit organization that has been fostering
the artistic spirit of NE Alberta Street in Portland, OR, for the past
decade. Art on Alberta’s mission is to promote Alberta Street’s distinct
culture and identity through public art, visual art events, and
educational activities. We are currently seeking individuals for up to
six board positions, whether or not you are a resident of this unique
neighborhood.

In the past, Art on Alberta has organized many community events
throughout the calendar year (Art Hop, Street Fair, and Tannenbaum
Madness) in addition to the monthly Last Thursday gallery openings.
Since our inception in 1998, we have seen the retail community grow as a
result of these actions. Recently, a neighborhood business organization
has taken root, which has allowed Art on Alberta to refocus our efforts
on art-related events for this neighborhood, wishing to enhance our
status as the only art-identified neighborhood in Portland. We are a
small but mighty organziation, with a proactive and supportive spirit
that is excited about our newly refocused mission.

We are looking for individuals who are reliable and professional,
optimistic, and work well with a team to help us in our efforts.

The Goals of Art on Alberta in the upcoming year:

ART HOP:

Art Hop, our day-long event in May of each year, will become our main
focus. Next year will be Art Hop’s tenth anniversary along with the
150th anniversary of Oregon as a state. We are already making plans to
make this an especially memorable celebration.

Our featured artist will be Thelma Johnson Streat, (1912-1959). Streat
was known internationally in the mid-twentieth century for her visual
and performance art and for her work to promote intercultural
understanding and appreciation. She was also the first African American
woman to have paintings collected by the Museum of Modern Art in New
York. Although she grew up in Portland and attended the Portland Art
Museum School (now the Pacific Northwest College of Art), Streat is an
underrecognized name in this region and in the art world at large.

In 2009, Art on Alberta will be taking the initiative to build awareness
about this amazing painter, dancer, designer, and educator. One of our
board members has been working with her family (who still lives in the
region) and they have spent the last decade collecting back the work of
Ms. Streat. Art Hop 2009 will be the place where Streat’s work will be
showcased, some for the very first time. We are also already talking
with many city arts leaders and organizations about partnering for this
project, and will work with grant writers to fully fund this interesting
exhibit.

(Please note that Art on Alberta envisions and sponsors the Art Hop
event , whereas Combustible Media partners with us and attends to all of
the details, such as vendors, performers, and street closure.)

WEBSITE:

Art on Alberta maintains a website that lists information about our
activities. We are currently transforming it to reflect our new vision,
and it will become a hub of information about art-related events,
activities, news and opportunities in the Alberta Arts District.

ART MAP:

We produce a monthly Art Map, which is also in the process of expanding
into a more informative document. This map and calendar will also
include some advertising to create revenue. This map is distributed free
through businesses up and down Alberta Street in time for the monthly
Last Thursday Art Walk. We are also planning on being a stop on the map
as we begin to curate and hang monthly art exhibits in our new office
space at 1614 Alberta Street.

OTHER:

In addition to Art Hop, we are also contemplating the possibility of
creating smaller art events during the year, to increase our
organization’s visibility and provide more revenue for our operating budget.

We are currently looking for new board members who may have strengths or
interests in the following areas:

Secretary -- takes accurate notes at meetings, edits, and distributes to
board members.

Membership -- plans, organizes, and actively reaches out to businesses,
artists and neighborhood residents. You will share the work with a
current board member to increase our membership base this year.

Newsletter -- gathers, edits, and distributes information about the arts
and Alberta Street for our online and email newsletter.

Marketing and PR -- composes and sends Press Releases, spreading the
word of Alberta to residents, the city, and media sources. You will work
with a current board member to coordinate efforts.

Volunteer Coordinator -- seeks and coordinates volunteers for our events
and distribution of Art Maps.

Curator and exhibition coordinator -- seeks artists for our monthly art
exhibits in Art on Alberta office and for the featured artists of our
larger events.

Board Members should plan on attending our meetings, which fall on the
second Wednesday of every month at 6:30 pm, and are requested to serve
for a minimum two-year term.

You are invited to meet the current Art on Alberta Board and find out
more about being a Board Member, by attending a special meeting on
Monday, April 21, 2008, 6:30 PM at our office 1614 NE Alberta Street.

(Attendance at this meeting is not required for anyone interested in
becoming a Board Member, but seems like a mighty good idea!)

Individuals interested in applying to be a Board Member are requested to
send, by May 1, 2008, a resume, cover letter, and any other materials
you deem fit to:

Art on Alberta
1614 NE Alberta Street
Portland, OR 97211