[Local events] Fwd: Thai New Year celebration

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Fri Apr 18 23:42:17 PDT 2008

from The Monkey & The Rat:

This is a reminder of our celebration of traditional Thai New Year

Celebrate Songkran!
@ The Monkey & The Rat
131 NW Second Ave location ONLY!

This Saturday 1:00 - 4:00 pm
April 19th, 2008

Free - Free - Free

Thai Association of Oregon Dancers will perform
Water Blessing Ceremony by Thai Elders
Food provided by E-San Thai Restaurant
Recognized by the Royal Thai Consulate General of Portland
Presented with the Thai Association of Portland

Please take a look at a video of the dancers:
Practice session of the Thai Association of Oregon Dancers
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_vbY7yfjJA>
And a news announcement of the event:
KPTV News Channel 12 - "On the Go with Joe"
<http://www.kptv.com/video/15886797/index.html>

Songkran is Thailand's New Year festival celebrated for about a week
beginning on Apri! l 13th this year. Families throughout Thailand
gather to celebrate the holiday with food, fun and blessings. Most
respectfully, a splash of water from an elder is an auspicious
blessing. However, this tradition has bloomed into one of the world's
largest no-holds-barred water fights centered in the Northern city of
Chiang Mai. Because this is the hottest time of year in Thailand,
people often enjoy getting soaking wet during the celebrations. At
The Monkey & The Rat, we won't be soaking anyone, but be prepared for
a little water splashing! The word Songkran is from the Sanskrit
meaning the beginning of a new Solar Year. The holiday is also
celebrated in Cambodia and Laos.

Please bring your whole family for an authentic celebration of Thai
cultural
tradition.

See you here-
The staff from The Monkey & The Rat