[Local events] Saturday 1/12: Marathon reading of Helen in Egypt

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Tue Jan 1 13:22:32 PST 2008

Spare Room presents a marathon reading of

H.D.'s Helen in Egypt

Saturday, January 12
7:00 pm -- ??
free admission

4932 NE 16th Avenue, Apartment A  (just below Alberta)

Scheduled readers include:

David Abel  *  Sarah Bartlett  *  Joseph Bradshaw  *  Gale Czerski  *
Ashley Edwards  *  Laura Feldman  *  Endi Hartigan  * Patrick Hartigan
*  Rodney Koeneke  *  Maryrose Larkin  *  Sam Lohmann  *  Chris Piuma
*  Dan Raphael  *  margareta waterman

Hear H.D.s booklength narrative poem Helen in Egypt (published in 1960)
read aloud by a dozen or so Portland poets and writers. We'll also
listen to a 1955 recording of H.D. reading excerpts from the text.

Drop in for an hour or two at any point, or stay for the entire book.
(Estimated duration of the reading is 4-6 hours.) Light snacks and
beverages will be available.

[Note: For an H.D.-related visual treat, see
http://brblroom26.wordpress.com, the blog of the American Literature
Collection of the Beinecke Library at Yale. Scroll down to the entry
titled "Ancient and Modern." In honor of our marathon reading, the
assistant curator of the collection, poet Nancy Kuhl, posted scans of
collage pages from H.D.'s scrapbook combining classical figures with
photographs of H.D. and friends.]

Upcoming readings:
Sunday Feb. 10  Hank Lazer & Laura Feldman
Sunday March 2  Steve McCaffery, Karen Mac Cormack, & Mark Owens