[Local events] Fwd: Robin Price lecture/workshop, Feb 2-3

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Sun Jan 20 21:01:11 PST 2008

Connecticut-based book artist/printer, Robin Price,
will be in Portland at the beginning of February. She
will give a free illustrated lecture at the Museum of
Contemporary Craft and a fast-paced one-day workshop
at OCAC. Information is below. Hope you can make it to
one of these events! - Barbara Tetenbaum

ARTIST'S TALK

"Purposeful Chance in Contemporary Artists' Books"

Museum of Contemporary Craft -- in collaboration with
Oregon College of Art & Craft -- is excited to welcome
Robin Price to give an illustrated lecture about the
use of chance and randomness in contemporary artists'
books. Price is an artist, letterpress printer, and
publisher. An exploration of earlier twentieth century
examples will be examined, including the methodologies
used by John Cage.

Free admission.
Sunday, February 3, 2 PM, The Lab, Museum of
Contemporary Craft
724 Northwest Davis Street | Portland, Oregon 97209
tel 503.223.2654 | fax 503.223.0190 |
info at MuseumofContemporaryCraft.org

And Robin will be teaching a one-day workshop at OCAC:

Mixing Chance & Choice: A Lettepress (and more) Extravaganza
BA701 Saturday, February 2, 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
$125; Studio Fee $25

Chance operations inspired by Jean Arp, the
Surrealists, and John Cage will be our guiding light
as we proceed through making one-of-a-kind artists’
books. We will use pre-printed sheets as palimpsest
and springboard, and explore the integration of text
and imagery, using letterpress, collage (with drymount
press), and paper manipulations. We will work both in
solo and in an ensemble in this fast-paced one-day
workshop. Prerequisite: some letterpress experience
helpful but not necessary. Location: Print and
Calligraphy studios. Max. enroll: 12
Robin Price

Robin Price is an artist, letterpress printer, and
publisher who primarily creates limited edition
artists’ books that are collected and exhibited
internationally. She collaborates with contemporary
artists, writers, and artisans, striving for
synergistic books. She has worked with authors Amy
Bloom, Yusef Komunyakaa, and the late William Everson,
the musician Pepe Romero, and artists Barbara Benish,
Jordan Tierney, and Joyce Cutler Shaw. A favorite area
of exploration is the use of chance in creative work;
several recent works involve elements of chance in
their concept and/or execution. 2009 marks the
twenty-five year anniversary of the press. BA Pomona
College.

Call 503-297-5544 to register, or over the web at
www.ocac.edu