[Local events] Fwd: Collaborative dance performance, 7/13, PWNW

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Sun Jul 6 22:07:48 PDT 2008

As part of the Performance Works NW Alembic series:

Block 41325

collaborative dance performance by
Kimberly Kaplan, Kathryn Hightower, Yulia Arakelyan

Sunday, July 13
3:00 pm

Performance Works NW
4625 SE 67th Avenue

Admission: $5-10 sliding scale

Kimberly Kaplan (New York), Kathryn Hightower (Seattle), and Yulia
Arakelyan (Portland) are 3 friends who are recent graduates from the
University of Washington. They went on 3 separate adventures across the
world, finally settling in 3 different cities, but determined to
continue making work together. Over the course of a year they have
committed to collaborating long distance via video, emails, blogs and
late night phone calls to create their premier work "BLOCK 41325." This
joint collaboration represents through dance the inner workings of how
we each traverse our personal challenges. It is about unblocking our
blocks. This project is part of Alembic, a series of performance
experiments co-produced with Performance Works Northwest.

We would like you to be involved in our process. Please visit our blog
to view photos, videos, and make comments/suggestions:

http://longdistanceproject.blogspot.com

Bios:

Yulia Arakelyan first began dancing in 2002 with Light Motion Dance
Company in Seattle, WA. She holds a BA in Dance from the University of
Washington and has also trained with CandoCo Dance Company in England.
As a disabled dancer, Yulia seeks to make dance accessible to all and is
constantly amazed at the intelligence and possibilities of the human
body. She performs regularly in Seattle and Portland.

Kimberly Kaplan graduated from the University of Washington in 2007 with
undergraduate degrees in Dance and Comparative History of Ideas. She is
currently completing her master's degree in Dance/ Movement Therapy at
Pratt Institute. Kimberly has performed in Seattle in numerous
site-specific, contemporary and butoh pieces.

Kathryn Hightower holds a BA in Dance from the University of Washington
and has been on stage nearly her whole life, performing up and down the
west coast. Her movement background includes modern, yoga, Capoiera,
ballet, tap, jazz, and hip hop. She strives to combine her affinity for
modern with her love for the improvisatory and syncopated nature of
African/Afro-Caribbean music and dance.