[Local events] Saturday 6/14, Cinema Project, In the Street

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Fri Jun 13 12:18:20 PDT 2008

Cinema Project Outdoor Screening

Saturday, June 14
Films begin at dusk (around 9:15 pm)
Live music by Dash! at 8:30 pm
$6

3125 NE Burnside
(across Burnside from Music Millenium, at VBC Headquarters)

Under The Brooklyn Bridge by Rudy Burckhardt [1953, b&w, sound, 15 min.]
In the Street by Helen Levitt [1952, b&w, sound, 16 min.]
Mirror Animation by Harry E. Smith [1979, color, sound, 11 min.]
The Riddle of Lumen by Stan Brakhage [1972, color, silent, 17 min.]
The Black Tower by John Smith [1987, color, sound, 24 min.]

Total Running Tim: 83 Minutes

IN THE STREET
An Outdoor Film Screening

Once again, Cinema Project ventures out beneath the Portland stars with
our film projector and screen. We start out the evening with a one of a
kind viola experience by musical guest Dash! and then move into an
eclectic program of films. Filmmaker Rudy Burckhardt spent a lifetime
capturing the world around him, and among his most beautiful studies is
this simple portrait of children swimming Under the Brooklyn Bridge.
Noted New York City photographer Helen Levitt collaborated with Janice
Loeb and James Agee on In the Street, capturing children at play on the
streets of Manhattan’s Upper East Side. Portland native and
musicologist, painter, filmmaker, linguist, and anthropologist Harry
Smith created Mirror Animation – a series of complexly intricate,
hand-drawn collage animations. In his masterpiece The Riddle of Lumen by
the prolific Stan Brakhage, the hero of the film is light itself.
Finally concluding the night is The Black Tower by John Smith, we enter
the world of a man haunted by a tower he believes is following him
around London.