[Local events] Fwd: Cinema Project Spring Calendar begins 4/1-2

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Mon Mar 31 12:46:19 PDT 2008

from Cinema Project:

By now our Spring 2008 calendars have been making their way around the
city, so be on the lookout for them and pick one up if you have already
not done so.

Please join us at the Whitsell Auditorium this Tuesday and Wednesday,
April 1st and 2nd, to kick off our Spring 2008 season with two programs
of short work by Thai filmmaker Apichatpong Weerasethakul.

Cinema Project and The Northwest Film Center are delighted to present
two programmes of short film and video by Apichatpong Weerasethakul, one
of the most radically original young filmmakers in contemporary world
cinema. Best known by America audiences for his feature-length films, he
has been simultaneously producing a body of short work influenced by
avant-garde traditions which inventively mix narrative and documentary
modes.

We are very fortunate that Apichatpong's work has finally been
distributed in the US, thanks to a lot of hard work around the country.
Finally, we are still on the lookout for volunteer help, please look at
the end of this email for more details.

Hope to see you at the screening,

Autumn Campbell & Jeremy Rossen

Mysterious Objects: The Short Films of Apichatpong Weerasethakul
Co-Presented by Cinema Project & The Northwest Film Center
April 1st & 2nd 2008
7:30pm | $7
1219 Sw Park Ave.
Whitsell Auditorium

These two programmes begin with the contagiously joyful THE ANTHEM, a
bizarre, bewildering recasting of the Thai National Anthem, which is
customarily played before film screenings in Thailand. All of
Weerasethakul’s signature trademarks are here: a quiet, suffused
humanism, meticulous compositions, effortless fluidity, and a boundless
exuberance and mystery that bespeak a kind of transcendence. The films
that follow evince the director’s main themes, ranging from the nature
of filmmaking itself (LIKE THE RELENTLESS FURY OF THE POUNDING WAVES and
WORLDLY DESIRES - a commission by the Jeonju International Film
Festival); to cultural commentary on Western perceptions of Thailand
(MALEE AND THE BOY, THIRDWORLD), and the complexities of memory
(0116643225059, MY MOTHER’S GARDEN). –
Andréa Picard

Special thanks to Jed Rapfogel of Anthology Film Archives

April 1st Program 1:
THE ANTHEM (2006, 5 minutes, 35mm)
WINDOWS (1999, 17 minutes, BetaSP)
MALEE AND THE BOY (1999, 27 minutes, BetaSP)
LIKE THE RELENTLESS FURY OF THE POUNDING WAVES (1995, 30 minutes, BetaSP)
THIRDWORLD (1997, 17 minutes, BetaSP)

April 2nd Program 2:
THE ANTHEM (2006, 5 minutes, 35mm)
0116643225059 (1994, 5 minutes, BetaSP)
GHOST OF ASIA (2005, 8.5 minutes, BetaSP)
MY MOTHER'S GARDEN (2007, 7 minutes, BetaSP)
WORLDLY DESIRES (2005, 40 minutes, BetaSP)
EMERALD (2007, 12 minutes, BetaSP)

Interested in volunteering? We are hoping to expand our volunteer base
this season. We would greatly appreciate your help, especially if you
have a love for experimental film and video art, a knack for accounting,
organizing, grant writing, editing, html design, moving equipment
around, hanging up posters, etc. Chat with us at the screening or email
us if you are interested.