[Local events] Fwd: Privatization of Copyright

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Fri May 9 21:22:34 PDT 2008

from The Illustrator's Partnership

Take Action: Don’t Let Congress Orphan Your Work

THE ORPHAN WORKS BILL IS BACK.

And this time the wheels have been greased for quick passage.

Yesterday a revived Orphan Works Bill sailed through a House panel.
Today the Senate bill will be marked up. These bills will expose any
work of art to commercial infringement. This will include everything
from professional paintings to personal photos placed on the net.

The bills will coerce you to register your work with for-profit
registries as a condition of protecting your copyrights. Any
unregistered pictures will be subject to Orphan Works infringement. This
is a radical departure from international copyright law and normal
business practice.

If you wish to oppose this legislation, you must act now.

We’ve set up an online site for anyone to e-mail their Senators and
Representatives with one click. This site is open to professional
artists, photographers and any member of the image-making public. We’ve
provided sample letters from individuals representing different sectors
of the visual arts. Illustrators, photographers, fine artists, reps,
licensing firms, designers: If you’re opposed to the Orphan Works act,
this site is yours to use.

For international artists and our colleagues overseas, we’ve provided a
special link, with a sample letter and instructions as to whom to write.

Two minutes is all it takes to write Congress and fight for your
copyrights. Go here:
http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/home/

Pick a sample letter or write your own. Type in your zip code. Your
letter will be automatically addressed to your congressman and senators.
Click and send.

For more information about the Orphan Works Act of 2008:

IPA Statement to House Subcommittee March 20, 2008:
http://www.illustratorspartnership.org/01_topics/article.php?searchterm=00261

IPA Senate Mark-up Comments April 30, 2008:
http://www.illustratorspartnership.org/ow_docs

Orphan Works Bill Catches Global Attention/ Intellectual Property Watch:
http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1028

MP3 Interview: http://www.sellyourtvconceptnow.com/orphan.html

YouTube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=CqBZd0cP5Yc

Please post this message or forward it to any interested party.