[Local events] FWD: through 5/10, Artist's Books at Central Library

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Thu Apr 23 15:29:14 PDT 2009

[Though I am highly biased in this regard, I have to emphasize that this
is a terrific exhibition, not to be missed!]

Book + Art = Contemporary Artist's Books and Broadsides
from the John Wilson Special Collections

March 16 - May 10, 2009

Collins Gallery
3rd Floor, Central Library
801 S.W. 10th Avenue

Information about the exhibition, gallery hours, links to the artists,
and more can be found at www.multcolib.org/events/collins/bookart.html

For more information, contact Jim Carmin, jimc at multcolib.org or 503.988.6287

===

Artists have been associated with books since the beginning of book
production centuries ago. But around the mid-20th-century, fine artists
began making books that are works of art that critics now call "artist's
books" or "bookworks." Because the Pacific Northwest is particularly
rich in book artists, Multnomah County Library's John Wilson Special
Collections has been actively collecting these materials for more than a
decade.

This exhibition features selections from the hundreds of titles within
the special collections and includes "prototypes" of artist's books from
the early 20th century; books by Oregon artists; books with unusual
structures or made with unusual materials; letterpress books; books
produced using copy machines or typewriters; one-of-a-kind and multiple
edition books; and hand-printed broadsides of poetry and other texts.

Artists in the exhibit include:

Claire Van Vliet
Walter Hamady
Barbara Tetenbaum