[Local events] Winter Literary Arts Workshops at Multnomah Arts Center

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Thu Jan 1 18:46:48 PST 2009

Winter Literary Arts Workshops at Multnomah Arts Center

For more information, or to download the full catalog of winter classes
at MAC, visit
www.multnomahartscenter.org, or call 503-823-2787

Memoir Writing: The Literature of Memory

Memory is not logical or tidy, but it is infinitely interesting. Learn
how to take the details that make up your life and turn them into
memoir, poems, or even fiction. We will engage in the free-writing
process using prompts to trigger and unlock the stories hidden within
you. We'll address and put aside the inner critic, so that you may
engage your creative process in a safe and encouraging environment.
We'll draw from Natalie Goldberg's Old Friend from Far Away and other
texts. No writing experience necessary. All levels welcome.

280990 Wednesdays 6:30 - 9:00 pm
January 7 - March  11 $176 [10 classes]

Instructor: Lyssa Tall Anolik

Fiction Critique Workshop

Polish your short story or novel excerpt with the help of other writers.
This supportive group will use constructive criticism and encouraging
feedback to help you improve your piece. Learn editing and revision
techniques while honing your critical skills. Open to writers who have
completed a short story or novel chapter.

280989 Thursdays 7:00 - 8:30 pm
January 29 - February  19 $44 [4 classes]

283718 Thursdays 7:00 - 8:30 pm
March  5 - March  19 $33 [3 classes]

Instructor: Susan Wickstrom

Writing Poetry

In this workshop, we'll look at how poetry works, as writers and as
readers. We'll write in response to exercises, and in response to what
we read; we'll read closely one another's work, and the work of other
poets both familiar and not. The challenge of reading poetry pays off in
two ways: empathy for the situation of our readers, and the discovery of
new possibilities. Open to anyone (beginner or veteran) who writes
poetry and wants to deepen their understanding of the art.

280987 Tuesdays 6:30 - 9:00 pm
January 13 - March 3 $150 [8 classes]

Instructor: David Abel

Special Event:
Writers Roundtable with Marc Acito

Get up-close and personal with author and playwright Marc Acito, winner
of an Oregon Book Award for his novel, "How I Paid for College." He will
talk about his career path, then participate in a casual roundtable
discussion about writing. Acito is the author of "Attack of the Theater
People," a frequent contributor to National Public Radio, and his play
"Holidazed" is Portland Artist Repertory Theatre's 2008 holiday
production. Moderated by Susan Wickstrom. Limited to 15 registrants.

283717 Tues. 7:00 - 8:30 pm
February  17 $15 [1 class]

Multnomah Arts Center
7688 SW Capitol Highway