[Local events] FWD: Econ Salon, 1/16

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Mon Jan 12 10:36:38 PST 2009

from the Alliance for Democracy:

Alliance for Democracy is joined by the Economic Justice Action Group of
the First Unitarian Church in presenting the 2nd Econ Salon.

Friday January 16
7:00 pm

First Unitarian Church
1011 SW 12th

Presenting and facilitating the discussion will be radical economists
Robin Hahnel and Kristen Sheeran. They will be joined by Jules Boykoff,
who will read from his poem "Das Greenspan, Volume I - III."

Description and participant bios below.

=================================

Our media swells with confusion regarding the financial crisis. What
caused it? Who is responsible? What lessons are to be learned? What do
we make of the financial bailout? Must it be "socialize loss and
privatize gain?" How can we aid Main Street instead of Wall Street?
Which initiatives should we oppose and which should we support?

Free market ideologues continue to shamelessly spread their false
interpretations and false solutions -- nonintervention in management of
banks we bailout, reprivatization ASAP, more deregulation, more
outsourcing, and more "free-trade." But even the mainstream media now
asks if this is the end of free market capitalism. How can we seize the
opportunity presented by the greatest economic crisis since the Great
Depression  and replace the failed economics of competition and greed
with a new economics of equitable cooperation?

ROBIN HAHNEL recently returned from Dublin, Ireland, where he argued for
alternatives to free-market capitalism before the University
Philosophical Society at Trinity College, University of Dublin. Earlier
this fall, Hahnel spoke at the "Local Alternatives to Confront the
Crisis of Capitalism" conference in Lara, Venezuela. He has discussed
the financial crisis on many media outlets, including Al Jazeera, and
RTÉ (Irish public radio), as well as locally on the KPOJ Morning Show.
Hahnel is author of Panic Rules, which analyzes crises brought on by
financial liberalization in the era of globalization. Other books
include Economic Justice and Democracy, The ABC's of Political Economy,
and The Political Economy of Participatory Economics (co-authored with
Michael Albert). Hahnel is Professor Emeritus of Economics at American
University in Washington DC and Visiting Professor at Portland State
University.

KRISTEN SHEERAN argues that, far from being ideologically neutral,
mainstream economics has become a barrier to thinking about how to
promote an equitable and sustainable economy. Sheeran is co-author of a
forthcoming book, Saving Kyoto (with Graciela Chichilnisky), about
solutions to the climate crisis written for a mainstream audience.She is
a cutting-edge thinker about economics and the environment and widely
published in academic journals. Sheeran is the executive director of
Economics for Equity and the Environment at EcoTrust and Associate
Professor of Economics at St. Mary's College, University of Maryland.

JULES BOYKOFF doesn't shy from addressing economics in his poetry, as
evidenced by the title of his first book of poetry, Once Upon a
Neoliberal Rocket Badge. His second book of poetry, Hegemonic Love
Potion, is forthcoming in 2009 from Factory School. Also a political
scientist, Boykoff is the author of Beyond Bullets: The Suppression of
Dissent in the United States, The Suppression of Dissent: How the State
and Mass Media Squelch USAmerican Social Movements, and Landscapes of
Dissent: Guerrilla Poetry & Public Space (co-authored with Kaia Sand).
Boykoff has been skeptical of the cult of Alan Greenspan for years, and
he will read from his poem, "Das Greenspan, Volume I - III." Boykoff is
Assistant Professor of Political Science at Pacific University.