[Local events] FWD: Fri. 1/30, Peaches & Bats reading/publication party

David Abel passages at rdrop.com
Sun Jan 18 03:51:28 PST 2009

from Jesse Morse:

Peaches & Bats Release Party

with readings by

David Abel
Joseph Bradshaw
Kaia Sand
Sam Lohmann

and long-tone music in just intonation by
Warren Lee (harmonium), Ian Ackerman (violin), and Gabriel Will (viola).

Friday, January 30
7:00 pm

The Waypost
3120 N. Williams Avenue
http://www.thewaypost.com

Food, beer, wine and espresso all available at The Waypost.  Festivities
underway at 7pm.

http://www.smorgreadingseries.blogspot.com

-------

Peaches and Bats #3 features new work by: David Abel, Jennifer Bartlett,
Joseph Bradshaw, Stephen Collis, Elaine Equi, Ming Holden, Rich Jensen,
Stacey Levine, Lauren Likely, Will Owen, Kaia Sand, Brandon Shimoda,
Luvsandorjin Ulziitugs (translated by Simon Wickham-Smith), What We Are
Learning, and Deborah Woodard.

Peaches and Bats #3 is a hand-sewn zine with a letterpress cover and 72
pg. photocopied interior. It costs $5, and can be purchased in Portland
at Powell's or Reading Frenzy; in Olympia at Orca Books or Dumpster
Values; and in Seattle at Elliott Bay Books. Soon it will also be
available at St. Mark's Bookstore in New York, and eventually, I hope,
in other select corners of the world. You can also order it directly
from me by sending a check for $5 (postage included) to Sam Lohmann,
4025 SE Taylor St., Portland, OR 97214. Or email me about trading for
your chapbook or zine.

Submissions for issue 4 are welcome at peachesandbats at gmail.com.

-------

David Abel has the most extraordinary air of self-satisfaction. Yet, if
we stop to examine those Chinese writings of his that he so
presumptuously scatters about the place, we find that they are full of
imperfections. Someone who makes such an effort to be different from
others is bound to fall in people's esteem, and I can only think that
his future will be a hard one. If one gives free rein to one's emotions
even under the most inappropriate circumstances, if one has to sample
each interesting thing that comes along, people are bound to regard one
as frivolous. And how can things turn out well for such a man?

Joseph Bradshaw eats chicken and horses in Portland when he's not
teaching the world to sing at Portland State University or Pacific
Northwest College of Art or writing his famous chapbooks such as The Way
Birds Become (Weather Press) and This Ocean, or Oppen Series (Cannibal
Books).

Kaia Sand is the author of the poetry collection interval (Edge Books,
2004), the wee book lotto, the chapbooks Heart on a Tripod and tiny
arctic ice (all from Dusie), and The NAFTA (forthcoming from Duration
Press echap series). Jim Dine created artist books from tiny arctic ice
and lotto (Steidl, 2008), and Sand coauthored Landscapes of Dissent:
Guerrilla Poetry & Public Space (Palm Press, 2008) with Jules Boykoff.

Sam Lohmann is a poet, editor, letterpress printer, ex-busboy, future
substitute preschool teacher, occasional tutor, and temporary cashier in
Portland, Oregon. He will be reading work written by others for his
yearly zine, "Peaches and Bats."

Gabriel Will and Ian Ackerman (Olympia), and Warren Lee (Portland) play
long-tone music in just intonation. In 2007, they completed a recording
residency at the Satsop Nuclear Cooling Tower in Elma, Wa. In 2009 they
had a "Super Weekend."